Monday, April 12, 2004

Hath not a Jew a blog?

Not much going on. But I feel obligated to post since it's been a week.

I've gotten onto a Shakespeare kick recently. Last week I read "Merchant of Venice", which is actually not that good. All the business with Shylock gets resolved at the end of act 4, which leaves one entire act for denouement and the wrapping up of the lame-ass love story sub-plot. But it's a comedy, so what can you do? Now I'm reading "The Tempest", which is better, but it's almost like Shakespeare was trying to show off some nifty new special effects equipment his theatre got. Every five seconds shit flies around or descends or alights or otherwise does magical stuff. It's cool and all, but kinda gratuitous. One can only imagine what Willy would've done with Skywalker Ranch at his disposal.

And while I'm talking smack about the Greats, I'm going to commit further English major heresy. I've also been reading The Great Gatsby. It's a wee bit on the annoying side. Fitzy writes the shit out of that book. Every time something dramatic is about to happen, F. Scott jumps in and starts writing. For example, when Gatsby and Daisy have their first meeting at Nick's house -- Gatsby walks in, Daisy and him look at each other for a bit, and just before they start talking, Nick leaves the room to go look at some trees. What the fuck?

Eh. Maybe my problem is I just want to read something for fun. Not for dissection. I want to read Wil Wheaton's book(s). Although, based on his blog, I'm not particularly fond of his style either. He's almost the opopsite of F. Scott, like he doesn't write enough. But he's funny and interesting, so that kinda makes up for it.

By the way, let me just say that I'm disappointed in all of you for not responding to my "what would happen if you were ejected into the vacuum of space with no suit" question. I was hoping for some insightful commentary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home