Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Wannabe hacker

Ok, I'm back. And while I still don't have a job, I feel slightly better having done a brief search and discovered that I could indeed find a nice place to live (for myself, at least) at a very reasonable price if I had to.

In other news, I'm currently connected to the internet via a library at Brown. While this is not unusual in and of itself, what makes it slightly interesting is that I'm connected using a wire. Y'see, in one of the computer clusters here, a computer had been removed (for maintenance, I guess) from one of the little computer cubbies. Of course, this left behind the ethernet cable which was still connected into the wall socket. So I says to myself, "Hmmm, what would happen if I connected that shit to my computer?" Turns out it connects me to the Brown LAN. Furthermore, it requires nothing in the way of a password or username -- I could be any random schmuck off the street with a laptop, and I could connect my shit to the Internet. What makes this preferable as opposed to Brown's new Wireless system is that it allows unlimited access to the Internet, whereas the wireless kind isn't yet ready to handle things like sending email or Instant Messenger. Why, you may ask? I dunno. All I know is, I got free access to the Internet. Thanks, Brown!

Hmmm...maybe I should keep this quiet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home