Friday, July 02, 2004

The Geekification is complete

I have now finished reading the first five Harry Potter books. My overall impression: They rock. Very fun, highly addictive, crazy deep plot. Seriously. I don't know how the hell kids can fully appreciate all that's going on. My fave is definitely book 5, 'cuz Harry's all angsty and pissy in that one. Not your typical "Hero Kid".

My one big complaint (and this applies mainly to books #4 & #5): Rowling likes to insert detailed descriptions about stuff at odd moments. Really screws up the pacing. Like in #5, at the beginning of the climax when all the characters are running through this place they haven't been before looking for someone (details left intentionally vague so as not to spoil anything), she stops to describe the place they're in. It was really exasperating. Just run, bitches!

Also, why do I have to wait another year (at least) for book #6? That's just stupid. Come on, Rowling, get a move on!

By the way, the movie version of book #4 is going to be amazing. The ending will blow your friggin' mind. And I can't wait to see how they do Dumbledore in movie #5 -- he's badass in the book. Although I wonder if they'll have to get a little "Saved by The Bell" in order to pass off Daniel Radcliffe et al as being 14 and 15.

In short: Harry Potter is awesome. I wish I was at Hogwarts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home