Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Your assignment, class ...

Okay, read this poem and tell me what you think it means. I have my own ideas, but I want to see if somebody else agrees with me. I'm actually learning this in song-form as part of my music lessons. Did I mention I did finally manage to find a vocal music teacher? And he's quite affordable, too. Yay!

Oh, here's another assignment. Tell me what the Jewish holiday "S'lichot" (or "Selichot" or "Slichot"...I've seen it spelled a bunch of different ways) is all about. Or if you've even heard of it. I sure hadn't until I found out that I need to sing in the service for it in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of being Jewish, I got an email today telling me that I need to come to a mandatory NASD certification dealie on Oct. 13. Which, if you're keeping score, is the same day as Yom Kippur. So I told 'em I couldn't make it. You know, you'd think an organization that deals with money would be more sensitive to the needs of Jews. Other fun "token Jew" fact -- I got an email from one of my old bosses in RI asking me if it was "appropriate" to have a little party-at-work on Rosh Hashannah. I told her that, besides Jews not actually being at work to participate, it's fine, as long as there are plenty of virgins and goats around to sacrifice to Cthulu.

Another "token Jew" conversation I had at work between me and a coworker named Sonya, who is Black:

Me: "You know, it's kind of tough being the token minority around here."

Sonya: "Kid, you're preaching to the choir."

For the record, though -- there are at least 4 other Black people in my department. Haven't found any other Jews yet. Maybe we just blend in too well.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

i'm gonna say it's about death. and "waking up" in heaven. written from the perspective of a guy whose love died. i like the sunset/sunrise imagery.

here's a poem for you that i heard at a wedding this past weekend (like...during the ceremony, part of a list of why man wants to marry woman):

roses are red
violets are blue
and today at 4pm
i'm getting my ___ pierced for you

lucky bastard.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Dgcopter said...

lolz...that's devotion right there. Now, to fully comprehend the artistic merit of this work, one question must be answered: did he say "dick" or did he drop the c-bomb?

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

this is a note he recieved from her, actually. and it was pronounced "blank." one can only assume the actual poem said something savory. i'll bet you $10 it rhymed with "split."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home