Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Bloo...me? No. Blood of the lamb.

(Bonus points if you know what that's from. And you don't count, Katie.)

Read "Big Fish" at work today (it's not that long...and I read fast). It's a fun book. Funny, sad, all that good stuff. Plus, it's divided up into vignette-esque short chapters that makes reading it at work easy, what with constant interruptions and all. Mary (the nice lady) lent it to me. When I gave it back to her at the end of the day, she remarked, "Yeah, I hope the movie ties it together a bit more." Which got me to thinking...

Y'see, the version of the book I read had a "reader's guide" at the end, which was actually quite useful. It included an interview with the author. One of the questions was about how the main character's name is Bloom, and was that a reference to Joyce's "Ulysses"? The author confirmed that it was, although somewhat superficially -- he was playing with mythology in the same way that Joyce was. That is, his main character kind of mythologized himself. So I started thinking some about the whole Joyce connection, and I realized that the kind of disconnectedness that Mary had alluded to might actually be part of it...that is, like with "Ulysses", the reader kind of has to put it all together for him/herself, the same way that the main character is. Which is kind of fun. Read the book ("Big Fish", not "Ulysses"), and you'll see what I mean.

Reader's guide...it's like DVD director commentary without the DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home