Tuesday, January 13, 2004

heh...

Did I mention that I've been keeping the fact that I was hired permanently on the d.l.? Well, I have. See, one of my coworkers here (not Idiot Boy; a very nice lady named Mary) worked as a temp for eight months before getting hired permanently. I figured if it became public knowledge that I went from temp-to-hire in two months, everybody would hate me. Plus, Idiot Boy wasn't hired permanently either, and he started working as a temp at the same time I did, so there'd be that whole thing.

Well, the cat's outta da bag.

Somehow, Idiot Boy found out ... I think it was because he could hear me talking on the phone with my boss, who was telling me that I needed to fill out the ol' I-9 form (that's the one where you have to prove you're a citizen of the U.S.). I'll give him credit, though, he was rather gracious about it. "Congratulations!" he said. "Good for you." He even kind of asked me in a round-about way how much more money I'd be making now ("Not a lot," I answered honestly...it's probably something like $1000 more per year).

Despite his idiocy, I still feel bad for the guy. Really, I feel bad for him more often than I feel pissed at him. It must suck to be that stupid. In that sense, Katie, I wish him well. I sincerely hope that somehow, some day, he becomes smarter. He'd be a much happier person, I think.

Ok, I'll try that again. I wish him well in all his future endeavors as a weekend dad/Air National Guardsman/History teacher. Although I must say I'm a bit concerned about his future as a teacher. Once, he told me how he loved this assignment he had in the Air Force where he had a bunch of subordinates under him. "I love bossing people around," he told me. He loves to brag about how he got this one guy kicked out of the Air Force for insubordination and stuff. Yeah, this guy's gonna be a great teacher. Fuckin' idiot.

Ok, one more time. I wish him well. Really. Sort of.

And now, a news update from the land of the surreal. What with my overwhelming sense of nostalgia yesterday (see preivous blog entry for further clarification), I decided to log on to the ol' AIM to see what was cookin'. Y'see, I never use AIM anymore. The last time I used it consistently is when I was a freshman in college, and then I used it to chat with all my friends from high school. So they're all still on my buddy list. Well, who should I run into in the vast realms of cyberspace but Mary Ellen, my ex-girlfriend from high school. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I kept her on my buddy list, seeing as how the last time we spoke wasn't what you'd call a friendly parting. I think we both (and by that, I probably just mean "I") decided to not to talk to each other anymore. Well, 4 years and a few hundred miles turned out to be the right amount of distance necessary to finally put that whole thing to rest. So approximately six years after we broke up, we had a nice, friendly chat about life, education, and the past. And I came away from it feeling really good, because this considerable amount of ugliness and hatred that I had been hauling around with me all those years is finally gone.

So maybe there is something to the whole "wishing people well" thing, Katie. I guess that's why you're smarter than me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home