Thursday, July 15, 2004

And the dust coalesces into...

I haven't been posting.  The reason:  nothing has been happening to me.  I had hoped that if I didn't post for a while, enough crap would gather so that I could actually talk about something.  But as my life is boring, that's not really happenin'.   So here's what I got.
 
I won a radio contest two weeks ago on WBRU.  I got to see Anchorman a day before the rest of the world did.  It's pretty funny, actually.  The plot is lame, but there are a lot of funny bits.   Most of them involving Steve Carrell who, I think, is funnier than Wil Ferrell in this movie.  Christina Applegate looks suspiciously like Madonna. 
 
My roommate just told me he got a job in New York.  He's actually going to be doing something he enjoys -- working in radio.   Upon reading Mr. Shieh's away message, I see he also got a job recently (directing a high school/middle school orchestra, it seems).  It must be nice to get a job doing something you enjoy.  I'm glad my Ivy League education turned out to be so useful.  If I was my mother, I'd demand a refund.  From me.  Maybe I should make video games for a living.  Hmm.  How would one go about getting the training necessary to make that happen...
 
So, yeah, I got nothing.  But a growing sense of guilt has been building in me due to my not posting, so I felt compelled.  And that's dumb for a lot reasons, mainly because only about 3 people actually read this.  But hey, I'm Jewish.  Guilt is to me as salt is to my spice rack:  it's the only thing I got, and it kinda goes with everything.

One of the most bizarre and interesting things I ever wrote was in my Freshman year of college (a.k.a. "The Year from Hell").  For one of my playwriting classes, I wrote this one-act parody of Waiting for Godot.  The interesting part was this story that one of the two characters (I think his name was "Man B") told the other one.  I think it went like this:
 
"I read in a magazine the other day that the world is shrinking.  You see, every time someone takes a step, the earth underneath their foot sinks a little.  Well, there are millions of these depressions each day, so the Earth is slowly being re-shaped into a smaller and smaller sphere.  Scientists estimate the circumference of the globe decreases by 2 centimeters a year.  Now, that's not much, but in 50 years, the Earth will have decreased in size by 1 meter.  In 5000 years, that's a whole kilometer gone.  Eventually, things will shrink so much that there will only be room for two people.  Then, when one of them takes a step..."
 
Hm.  Maybe it was more interesting in my mind.  Notice the word "depressions".  Y'see, everything I wrote my Freshman year was me yelling at people, "Hey, look at me!  I'm unhappy!"  I'm not sure why I brought this up.  It seemed relevant, somehow.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home