Monday, April 04, 2005

Memory Lane

I was just playing Stinkoman 20x6, and I suddenly had a flashback to when I discovered the joys of NES emulation. I was in high school, and the family compy was kinda old (486 power!), so it was the most fund I could get out of it. Coincidentally, this was around the same time that I discovered Tori Amos (thanks to Ms. Mynx). I used to play NES games with the sound turned off and Tori in the CD player. Lemme tell ya something... Rygar + January Girl = awesome.

Speaking of nostalgia, I've started playing Final Fantasy VII again. Man, that's a damn fine game. Although there are a helluva lot more translation problems than I remember. And an awful lot of questionable content that makes me wonder how it got past the censors. Here's an example that illustrates both the translation issues and the questionable content:

In the first area, one of your female characters gets kidnapped by a pimp (named Don Corneo, by the way). The main character, Cloud (a guy), has to dress up like a woman to sneak inside his house and rescue her. There are optional sidequests that involve you getting additional feminine items to better fool Don Corneo. One thing you can do is go to a whorehouse and get the hos to give you lingerie and makeup. So Cloud and Aeris (another female character) go to the whorehouse. Aeris waits outside. As you enter the whorehouse, Cloud turns to look at Aeris waiting by the entrance and says, "Hm, so that's how you fooled them." Um, wha?

Yeah, this is a Final Fantasy game, not Grand Theft Auto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home