Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I feel the cosmos

It occurs to me that I haven't talked about anything geek-related in a while. Fortunately, I just got my copy of Katamari Damacy.

Holy. Crap.

I love this game. It's the most bizarre damn thing ever made. Quick summary: The King of All Cosmos gets drunk one night (in the original Japanese version, at least...it seems like he just gets stoned or something in the American version) and wrecks all the stars in the sky. He sends his son, you, to Earth to rebuild the stars. How? By rolling up anything and everything you can find with your sticky ball of wonder, the Katamari. That's pretty much it for the plot.

The soundtrack is so friggin' awesome/hilarious that I want to cry. It ranges from crazy classical-Clockwork-Orange-techno style stuff to J-Pop tunes. My favorite song so far: the lounge-singer-style "I want to roll you into my life". It's so cheesy it's funny.

The controls take some getting used to -- the buttons don't do anything in the game. You control the Katamari solely with the right and left thumbsticks, which kind of makes it feel like you're driving a tank around.

Other than that, it's awesome. Go play it now. Especially if you happen to have some hallucinogenic drugs lying around. That will definitely enhance your gaming experience.

2 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

i need a new video game system. that game sounds fun...but i think i'm going to hold out for that new nintendo dealy. looking at pics of that has gotten me really pumped about a video game system for the first time since ps1.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Dgcopter said...

The Revolution? I'm a bit skeptical of that whole deal. The controller looks like a combination remote control / garage opener / nunchucks. Not that there's anything wrong with nunchucks, but it seems a tad awkward for gaming purposes.

PS3 all the way, baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home