Friday, November 21, 2003

Interview with my chest pains

Now reading: Interview with the Vampire (Anne Rice). Never read it before, and I was curious. Unfortunately, I can only read about 20 pages at a time and then I have to take a break. It's actually causing me physical discomfort. I don't know why exactly, but reading that book just makes me feel ill. Maybe it's the needlessly over-dramatic prose she uses to describe everything. Shit like, "The night was as dark as my soul". Actually, that's not from the book, but it could have been...

"We rushed through the early evening city, the sky overhead a pale violet now that the clouds were gone, the stars small and faint, the air around us sultry and fragrant even as we moved away from the spacious gardens, towards those mean and narrow streets where the flowers erupt in the cracks of the stones, and the huge oleander shoots out thick, waxen stems of white and pink blooms, like a monstrous weed in the empty lots." (page 114)

Wow. That's some mother-fucking sentence, huh? I think she's trying to do that 19th century thing in which writers make sentences really long when they want to create a sense of urgency or some crap. It just gives me chest pains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home