Thursday, November 06, 2003

The Matrix: Revulsions

As you might have guessed from the title, I was a little disappointed with the grand finale of the Matrix franchise. Maybe "revulsion" is a bit too strong a word to describe how I'm feeling right now, a scant hour after the fight between Smith and Goku -- er, Neo. "Disappointed" is more apt. Disappointed, and just plain sad.

When you've been talking, thinking, dreaming about a movie for five months, of course the reality isn't going to be as good as you'd like; if you read The Great Gatsby in high school, you know what I mean. But this was just ... not right. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of things I liked -- the aforementioned fight scene, the first 20-or-so minutes when I thought this movie was going to live up to my expectations, even the overall way the plot wound down kind of made sense. But there was simply too much stuff for one movie to handle.

There's work to be done.

We're going to have to pick up the pieces of this film and try to make it make sense, to make it into the film it should've been. The only way this movie is going to be what it should have been is if we push it along. We need some fan fiction. That, or the DVD of this movie better have 2 hours of unreleased footage dealing with the half-a-dozen or so characters that got introduced and then thrown away in the first half hour. Maybe there's some "Dune"-like deal waiting for us in a few months. A 4-hour long version that develops slowly, patiently, and with all the care that needs to be taken. I doubt it, but I can dream.

The worst thing, though, is that this movie ruined the entire seires for me. How can I watch the first two parts again knowing how it's going to end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home