Sunday, May 29, 2005

On the other hand...

Okay, I take back some of the praise I had for Star Wars. The dialogue is actually pretty shitty most of the time, and James Earl Jones' "NOOOOOOO!!!" was just terrible. However, I still think the last 20 minutes (the lead-in to Episode IV) are pretty awesome. I think it's the music; I'm a sucker for leitmotifs.

I did see the trailer for the upcoming Chronicles of Narnia flick. Holy shit, it looks awesome. Oh, and am I the only one who caught the whole Biblical-double-entendre of "in this house there are many rooms"? Makes me wonder if they're actually gonna play up the Christ stuff (not that it really needs playing up).

6 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

the narnia trailer gave me a raging...happiness. if they do the entire series, that'll be like a 20 year run.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Dgcopter said...

Yeah, between that and the next few Harry Potter flicks, my young-adult-literature-movie fix will be satisifed for a long time.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger goldman said...

Some thoughts:

I'm afeared of the CGI Aslan. At some point that deal's gonna talk ... that's gonna be questionable.

Tilda Swinton as the White Witch is totally great.

Are they really gonna make all 7 of these? Some of them aren't so good. Like the last one.

I don't think there's a way to either play up or play down the Christian allegory. It's pretty much the whole story. I'm actually gonna predict that evangelical groups come out not liking the movie because it's not explicit enough (somehow).

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Dgcopter said...

The studio bought the rights to all 7 books. I guess whether or not they get made depends on how well this one will do. I predict it'll do well because it's one of the more interesting ones.

Maybe they'll skip around and/or combine some of the less interesting ones. Like Horse and his Boy. What's wrong with Last Battle? It's the friggin' apocalypse.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

yeah, granted i haven't read them in (wow) about 15 years, but i remember liking them all. maybe it's time for a revisit.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger goldman said...

The trouble with The Last Battle is that it's a wacky metaphorical reinterpretation of wacky metaphorical source material (Revelations).

So it basically comes off like a crazy person's dream about crazy people.

I'm sure it's all highly symbolical inside CS Lewis' head ... but he's dead and all we've got is this crappy book.

Magician's Nephew tho' - that's hot. Would be worth having them make all 7 if they do that one.

And, yeah, it's clearly gonna make all the money in the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home