Sunday, August 14, 2005

Samaritans suck

I was hangin' out with my new buddy Dave and his wife, April, the other night. Two things happened that kind of concerned me. And I feel comfortable posting about them because I know he doesn't have a computer. Funny sidestory -- I was trying to have a conversation with him once, and I said, "Hey, did you hear that there's gonna be a new version of Windows coming out in a year?" And he said, "Um...what's that?" So, yeah, probably not gonna find my blog.

1) We were talking about music, and I said something about how I liked Tori Amos. April's response: "Oh yeah, I knew a guy once who liked Tori Amos. He was bisexual." Now, notice she didn't say, "Oh, I haven't listened to much of her stuff" or "Oh, I don't really care for her myself," or "Yeah, I had a friend once who really liked her." Directly to bisexual. Interesting. But I'd have let that slide if it weren't for the next incident.

2) Relevant bit of backstory for this: when I first went out to lunch with Dave (after he helped change my flat tire), he was telling me about his church and stuff. He asked me if I ever go to church, and I told him I was Jewish. Point is, he knows I'm jewish. I'm sure he told his wife as well.

So I'm sitting next to her, and she was reading her Bible to herself (did I mention that Dave is kinda religious?). All of a sudden, she just kinda says, "Wow." So, I try to strike up a conversation. 'Cuz I'm thinking, Hey, I'm an English major; I have a passing familiarity with the Bible. So I ask her what she's reading, and it's some story about how Jesus stopped along a road to talk to a Samaritan. April's commentary:

"It was really amazing that he did that, because back then, Jews didn't talk to the Samaritans. Jesus was awesome!"

So now I'm thinking, Wait ... did she just Jew-bash me? Was that a coincidence? At the time, I just kind of nodded my head and smiled. "Yeah, Jesus was a pretty great fella." But the more I think about it, the less I think it was coincidence. I think they're setting me up for the big Conversion pitch. And it really bums me out, because I thought I had a new friend. Turns out I had a missionary instead.

G-d damn it.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

that sounds completely insane. but i'm not sure she actually jew-bashed you there. i mean, ol' j-dog was a jew. pretty much every sermon i've ever heard on that parable mentions the fact that he was doing something extremely extraordinary by talking to a samaritan. i guess biblical scholars think that's a really important point.

but anyway, it sounds to me like you walked right into a total twilight zone, and i think you're probably right to be suspicious of their intentions.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Dgcopter said...

Yeah...I dunno. We Jews tend to be a bit suspicious of you goyim anyway. Never know when you're gonna bust out the inquisition again.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger mikey mcclenathan said...

nobody expects the spanish inquisition

 

Post a Comment

<< Home