Monday, April 03, 2006

Dancing at Google

I was visiting Google's HQ. They had just hired a whole bunch of people (as they are wont to do, according to my subconscious) who were going through some kind of orientation. Wizard-of-Oz style, everyone I knew was there. The usual cast of characters from high school, yes, but also random people I went to college with. People from my a capella group and my choir. They all seemed really excited and happy. I wondered why I couldn't join them. When I asked the big bouncer-type guy who seemed to be simultaneously guarding them and keeping the riff-raff (i.e., me) away, he responded, "Well, what can you do?"

Let me clarify the emphasis on that question. It was actually, "Well, what can you do?"

I told him about my experence working with 401k plans. He wasn't impressed. Turns out there's a whole course of study all these other folks had pursued that I missed out on, somehow (the "oh no, I forgot to study for my final and put on my pants" dream). The group moved inside, and I followed.

They were taken to a separate room to begin their orientation. I couldn't follow, but I was allowed to wait in the ante room. It was very nicely furnished -- very bright colors, big mirror, comfortable sofa. There was a fancy tea set that I used (I don't actually like tea, but this tasted really good for some reason).

Afterwards, the group moved outside. Again, I wasn't allowed to join them, but I could sort of watch from behind the electrified fence. There was some kind of rock concert going on. Lots of dancing. Again I wondered why I couldn't join them.

My alarm went off. I notice funny things when I'm half conscious. Like how the nine minutes the snooze button provides seems both a lot longer and a lot shorter than I'd expect (this seems really poetic to me at the time). Like how the sunlight coming through my blinds creates a prison-bar shadow on the floor.

I vow again to go to the gym more. Fitter happier more productive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home