Friday, April 15, 2005

Strike that; reverse it

Remember all that stuff I said about video games? My quest for the Awesomeness formula? Forget it. I've come to the conclusion that my taste in video games is flawed. Too flawed, in fact, to be of any use.

I'm basing this on the fact that a bunch of games that I like get really crappy reviews on Gamespot. For example, Sudeki, an action-rpg for the XBox. Gamespot gives it a 6.5, which they say means "fair", but in reality means "piece of shit", since they rarely go below 6. I actually kinda like this game. The combat system takes some getting used to, but it's fun, dammit. Also, Enter the Matrix. Gamespot: 6.4. Me: Best hand-to-hand fighting in an action game ever. Yes, I'm serious. If only you could play as Neo, this game would've been teh r0x0rz.
A final example: Constantine. Gamespot gives it a 6.4. Yes, it's a movie tie-in. Yes, it's not particularly original. But dammit, it's fun! Plus, the whole switching back and forth between Hell and Earth thing reminds me of Legacy of Kain, which even Gamespot agrees is a damn fine series. Although, they didn't like the last one (6.9), and I thought it was the best in the series (except for the first Soul Reaver).

Conversely, I've also discovered that the games Gamespot thinks are great, I hate. A few examples:

Morrowind. Gamespot: 8.5. Me: Played it for a half hour, then gave up after the futility of trying to beat it enveloped my soul and spit in my face.

Knights of the Old Republic. Gamespot: 9.1, plus the Editor's Choice award. Me: What am I missing here? You take the coolest element of Star Wars, lightsaber fights, turn it into some jacked up Dungeons & Dragons thing, and this is "innovative"? Combat consists of hitting "go" and hoping for the best. This is not my idea of fun.

Doom 3. Gamespot: 8.6 Me: It's a first-person shooter. It's the same as every other first-person shooter ever made. In fact, it's almost exactly the same as the first two Doom games. But with better graphics! Ooo, look at the amazing lighting! The detailed textures! The realistic physics! WHO GIVES A SHIT?! It's boring and repetitive.

Like I said, apparently my taste in video games is flawed. I guess I just need a certain level of crappiness to really enjoy a game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home