Friday, April 22, 2005

I can feel the distance

There's a new love in my life. And her name is Jade Empire.

Quite simply, it is the best game I've ever played. It's like Knights of the Old Republic, if KoToR was 100 times better and had a combat system that didn't suck. I won't go into a geekly amount of detail on why I love this game, but I'm serious when I say it's the best game I've ever played. But check this out: there's a constructed language in the game called Tho Fan. It was created by a Ph. D. student in Linguistics named Wolf Wikeley.

Point #1: Wolf Wikeley is a cool name.

Point #2: This once again proves that Linguistics is the field for me. I don't know how Wolf got my dream job, but I want it. Making up languages for video games? *geek drool*

By the way, the title of this post is a reference to the fact that Jade Empire takes place in a fictional mythologized version of ancient China. And the only person who will understand why that makes sense is Ms. Mynx.

2 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger goldman said...

I've got this one too. I've played about an hour of it and think it's hot ... but.

It's not WoW. In particular, it moves way slower than Warcraft. BioWare's come up with a great way to do storytelling - judging by KOTORs I and II - but it takes a while.

I'm going to have to relearn patience when I get around to playing this deal.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Dgcopter said...

Well, since I've never played WoW, I have no frame of reference. But what with all the hooplah, I think I may start playing. Although I'm still not sure my somewhat-whack computer will be able to handle it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home